Monday, March 5, 2012

for the A-series by Sullivan

An argument for the A-series:

"
  1. We often experience objects as of having many spatial parts and a rich and varied spatial extent. For example, meeting me for the first time you will likely experience me as an object composed of many, many different spatial parts. You will be able to tell at a glance roughly how tall I am and the intricate pattern of colors on my shirt.
  2. We do not experience objects as of having many temporal parts or a rich and varied temporal extent. Meeting me for the first time, you are unlikely to accurately perceive how long I have existed or will exist. You will not be able to tell, at a glance, if I have recently sat down and stood up or if I am about to.
  3. Until we have sufficient reason to think otherwise, we ought to think our experiences are veridical -- they capture how reality is.
  4. So until we have sufficient reason to think otherwise, we ought to think objects have many spatial parts and a rich and varied spatial extent but not many temporal parts or a rich and varied temporal extent.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment